Minimalist DIY

I've got 3 pairs of running shoes:

  • Invo8 Road-X 255s - entry point to minimalism
  • Vibram Fivefingers Speed - sent them back. Bad stitching in the left toe join.
  • Luna Sandals - In for repair

So that leaves me with the Invo8s, until I get my Luna's back. It's the 3rd week of my training programme for the Abingdon Marathon in October. I haven't used the Invo8s for some time, but I thought it would be interesting as, from the sandals, I'd learned a lot about correct form. Would I be able to maintain my new form in with a much more cushioned sole?


Initially the answer was yes, seems to be ok, but I had to concentrate. Then gradually, the shin issues I'd left behind long ago, started returning. I was able to get close to what I believed was my correct form, but I wasn't getting any feedback from my feet/legs to tell me where to correct.


With no money to buy a temporary replacement, I lay in bed wondering what to do. It was then I hit on the idea of modifying the Invo8s. Why not? I thought. If they hurt, change them.


My first idea was to cut off the black rubber sole, cut away all the white foam, and glue the sole back on again. Or, if that didn't work, get myself down to B&Q, get some cord and make my own sandals out of the soles.


The patient:
I put the kitchen knives to work:

Eventually, I ended up with this:

I've left the shoe upper as is. I've cut the foam down as close to the canvas bottom as possible. It was exposed in places, so I glued slices of foam back on where needed.


So there we have it, I've either got a pair of ultra minimalist Inov8s or some soles for a new pair of sandals. The soles aren't as flexible as I'd like, so I decided to try out the Inov8 uppers.


I took them on a 5.5 half trail/half road run at lunchtime. This is them following the run:


 They were nice to run in. Enough cushioning to take the edge off stones, but thin enough to let my foot do it's natural thing (and therefore my form). There was something going on in the last mile under the ball of my right foot. I think I need to make the foam a bit more even.


I plan to take them on an 11.3 mile run to work tomorrow morning, so that will be the real test!

No comments: