Reasons To Run

I've written about the reasons I run in the Why Running? section.


However I did catch this article, which I liked:


Why Run? on the Runners World US website.


I commented as follows:
This is a nice article. I also like point 2 from kelleyz, as this it hits the nail on the head for me: I'm a better person when I've finished a run, than when I started.
I've no idea what chemical changes go on in my mind and body during the run, but the world seems a nicer place and my own problems seem that bit easier to deal with afterwards. That said, I'd be lying if that was always the case, but hand on heart 90% of the time.
Sometimes issues that you've been putting off dealing with get thought about in my subconscious during the run, so that by the end, I have the path I need to take to deal with the issue. Which is sometimes half the battle.
Lately, I've also found that no matter how run down, irritable and generally rough I feel during a morning, a lunchtime run will turn this day around, and that so far has been 100% record. I get back to my desk feeling revitalised and happier.

The above, and the long term weight control means I'm sold, for the rest of my life. Therefore it's not so much IF any more, but when.



It's always nice to balance an argument, and to this end, let's look at one of the downsides to being a runner: Meal times.


Point 1: Let's get one thing straight first, this is not about what you eat, but as when you eat it. Being a father/family man, meal times are pretty rigid. A hungry child in our house can give you constant ear ache enquiring when tea time is (roughly 50 times every half hour). In these scenarios, suggesting the child watch TV for a bit, gives you about 4-5 minutes grace tops. Also, you don't want to eat to late in the evening, as nothing will digest before bedtime.


Point 2: If you've been a runner for a while, you work out that a run on a full stomach is not that great. Burping along the route and feeling heavy is just a no-no. You also learn that no matter how hungry you are, there is still stored energy in your muscles to see out a run.


Combining the above two points, means running can seem an anti-social event in a family sense. Coming home from work, to go straight out the door for a run when:
1. Your wife is looking forward to you helping to monitor the children
2. Your kids are looking forward to seeing you
3. Your wife and kids are going to spend most if not all of tea/dinner time without you.


This of course, is only if you weren't able to get up first thing in the morning and run, or lunchtime was too busy to fit a run in. You could always wait until tea/dinner has settled and go out at 9/10pm? Which I have done on a number of occasions. But wait... remember how you were a better person after a run? After a stressful day at work, to get a run in before being with the family is sometimes just what is required. The kids are always wanting a play fight as soon as I arrive though the door from work. Do I feel like it? No. Do I feel like it after a run? Absolutely.


So the upshot is, fitting running around a family life can be a challenge, but looked at in the right light, it can be used to the benefit of other family members.